Sunday, August 16, 2009

H@ppy Anniversary












17 years ago I stood in the front of a tiny church, in a tiny village in Northern Maine and said "I do" to the man I loved. Loved, but honestly, barely knew. We had only dated a few months before getting engaged and less than a year before getting married. I knew I loved him, I knew he was an extraordinary man, and that we connected on a level I had never known before. I didn't really know that I was marrying my best friend, my true partner and soul mate. And yes, I know that may sound corny but I do firmly believe in soul mates. He is my other half, he makes me a better person, he keeps us all grounded in reality and he is a wonderful father. That is something I knew he was made to be long before we ever even thought of adoption or China. I watched him with my nieces and nephews, of which I have quite a few, over the years, through all the years of infertility the hardest part for me was knowing that he was meant to be a Dad. But all those years gave us time to know each other, to become the best friends we are now, and I believe the patience that was required to take the long road that adoption can be. I would not change any of it. We have gone farther then I ever dreamed possible on that cloudy August day, I look forward to each and every day with him to see what happens next.

We went out to the Coach-N-Four for steak dinners tonight to celebrate. The pictures were what the sky looked like when we walked out of the restaurant, we drove to the store with a truly stunning sunset wish I had been able to capture more of it. I won't say it was a perfect dinner, the food was great, the Pixie was a cutie, but the Princess has had serious problems lately sitting still, she about drove us crazy. Then she had a meltdown on the way home, the not getting her way and lack of nap caught up to all of us. But as she was coming out of her meltdown we may, "just may", have made some headway on the sleeping in HER bed. She started out with wanting the Pixie's crib, which was hers but she barely slept in it even back then. So we talked about how she hadn't liked it and that it was too small for her. Then she wanted bunk beds and she wanted to sleep on top, at this point she didn't really care if we bought her the bunk beds or the Pixie as in her mind it amounts to the same thing, sharing a room with her sissy. So we talked about how she is all over the bed at night and still gets up and that she couldn't sleep in a bunk bed, especially on the top bunk right now because she is just still too little. This led into the reasons that we bought her the BIG bed, so she can have all her pillows and animals, they wouldn't fit with her in a smaller bed, and because she tosses and turns and likes to stretch out in her sleep. I finally got some smiles. Lastly she asked Daddy when he got back in the car if she could have bunk beds, he told her "maybe when you are bigger" she happily replied with "Okay Dad I'll be waiting".

When she went to bed tonight she jumped in it, said how much she loved her princess bed and at one point even asked Daddy to put the gate up across her door so that she wouldn't get out of her bed tonight, her idea completely, but she backed out when he really went to do it. She did however promise to stay in her bed as our anniversary present. LOL we will see.

As soon as we got home tonight the Princess jumped on Phillipe and started calling "Devy come on! Come with me, we have to go to the castle" so of course lil sis came running and off they went to the castle and then to bed. It had been a very long day. :)

No comments: